Have you ever stopped to consider why you are in the financial mess you are in? What caused you to spend more money than the Lord has provided? I would submit that the answer to why most of us are in debt is because we covet what our neighbor has, what the store window shows, and what the latest internet pop-up add entices us with. Of course it would be too wide of a generalization to say this is the only reason everyone is in debt. And be sure, there are times when debt is a prudent choice or is the only option. But for the average person with a large credit card balance, the answer is a lack of self-control and a desire to live outside of one’s means. We desire to have things that the Lord has not seen fit to provide for us, so we use the plastic cards to purchase them anyways.
And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15
What To Do About It
- Pray and ask God to help you not to covet and desire things that you can’t afford. Confess and repent of your sin.
- Renew your mind with Scripture reading and meditation.
- If you have a serious addiction, cut up the credit cards.
- If you are married, communicate with him/her to get on the same page about the problem.
- Trust that God will provide all you need (notice I didn’t say all you want!).
- Track your spending for a few months and then implement a budget.
- Develop a thankful heart for what you already have.
- Find someone to help keep you accountable.